At your appointment you will need to provide evidence of your name, age, nationality, marital status and address. The most commonly accepted documents are:
- Name, age and nationality – current passport. If you do not have a current passport and were born on or before 31st December 1982, you will need to provide your birth certificate. If you were born on or after 1st January 1983 you will need to provide evidence of your parents’ nationalities also.
- Marital status (this is required when you have been previously married or formed a legally recognised civil partnership either in this country or abroad) – You will need to provide a Decree Absolute of Divorce or death certificate of former husband/wife/civil partner. A Decree Nisi of Divorce is not acceptable. Digital copies, photocopies or faxes are not acceptable. If the document is in another language, we will need a translation into English.
- Address – any of the following are acceptable (paper copies only, online documents are not acceptable):
- Utility bill dated no more than three months before the date on which notice is given.
- Bank or building society statement or passbook dated no more than one month before the date on which notice is given.
- Council Tax bill or mortgage statement dated no more than one year before the date on which notice is given.
- Current residential tenancy agreement.
- Valid UK driving licence in the name of the person giving notice (full or provisional as long as all documents are originals as photocopies will not be accepted).
If you cannot provide any of the above documents please contact us for advice.
Download a copy of our Wedding ceremony brochure