If you choose to celebrate your special day in one of Liverpool’s many approved venues, you can enhance your ceremony in a number of ways to ensure that your wedding is personal to you.
Please note that any enhancements chosen must not contain any religious references or be taken from any religious texts.
You and your guests should arrive at least 20 minutes earlier than your booked ceremony time. If you and your partner don’t wish to be seen by each other before the start of the ceremony, then we advise that you stagger your arrival times slightly.
Many of our venues have onsite parking for guests, however some in the city centre don’t. Your chosen venue should be able to direct you to the nearest car parks available.
It’s important that you and your guests are on time as the registrar will have other weddings to attend on the same day.
You may personalise you ceremony in the following ways;
- Ring bearers
- Candle lighting
- Including children of the couple
- Legal vows
- Exchange of rings
- Personalising Ring Words
Music is optional and can be played at any (or all) of the following parts of the ceremony:
- As you make your entrance into the ceremony room.
- During the signing of the marriage register/civil partnership schedule.
- As you leave the room at the end of the ceremony.
The superintendent registrar will guide you through all stages of your ceremony, including:
- Welcomes and introduction.
- The legal vows, repeated after the superintendent registrar.
- Exchange of rings (optional).
- Inviting any readers to step forward to read out your chosen readings.
- Promises to children of the couple (optional).
- Candle lighting.
- Declaring you as legally married / civil partnered at the end of the ceremony.
- Inviting you and your witnesses to sign the marriage register/civil partnership schedule.
- Presentation of a certificate.
Signing the marriage register/civil partnership schedule
After your ceremony we will ask you to sign the marriage register, along with the witnesses and registrars.
If you have chosen to be married we will present you with your legal certificate, and any additional copies you have paid for, at the end of the ceremony.
Civil partnership registration will be completed at the Register Office within seven days of the ceremony or formation. Your legal certificate, and any additional copies you have paid for, will then be posted out to you. We will present you with a commemorative certificate at the end of the ceremony. The commemorative certificate is not legal proof that a civil partnership exists and cannot be used in place of a legal certificate.
It’s important that you read all information recorded in the register or on the schedule, including all spellings, carefully before signing. Any requests to change or update information will be subject to a charge of £90. In some cases it will not be possible to change information recorded.
Download a copy of our Wedding ceremony brochure