Customer information – Coronavirus update

Until further notice you will not be able to book appointments to give notice of marriage or civil partnerships. We have also suspended provisional ceremony bookings and final ceremony payments at this time, following government advice.

Giving notice of marriage or civil partnership

Home / Giving notice

The following information relates to marriages or civil partnerships in England and Wales providing both parties:

  • are over the age of 18
  • are British, EU or Swiss nationals
  • usually reside in England or Wales

If either party is a national from a country outside of the EU you will need to read the additional information for non EU nationals.

Wedded couple exiting town hall

What is a notice of marriage

A notice of marriage is a signed legal statement that is displayed on the register office notice board for 28 days. You cannot get married or form a civil partnership without giving notice.

Couple on St Georges Hall steps

Image credit: Andy J Photography

Where and when to give notice

You should give your notices at the register office where you have lived for the preceding eight days if you are getting married in a register office, approved venue or religious building.

list icon

Documents you need to provide

At your appointment you will need to provide evidence of your name, age, nationality, marital status and address.

Globe icon

Non EU nationals

If either party to the marriage or civil partership is a national of a non EU country you may be subject to immigration control.

Visibility icon

If you live abroad

You must both be resident in England or Wales for at least eight days immediately prior to giving notice.

Visibility icon

Getting married abroad

If you are a British national getting married or forming a civil partnership abroad, you may be asked to provide documents from the UK.

Heart logo


Download a copy of our Wedding ceremony brochure